Skip to main content

Chemo - There's an App for That

Like all things in life, (keeping track of everything for) chemo is much easier when you have an iPhone app to help you. Below are my favourite AppStore apps for keeping yourself organizized through treatment.

MedHelper
Available for iOS and Android in both free (ad sponsored) and pay (no ads) versions, this
is the best medication app I have found. It is capable of setting reminders for even semi-complex medication schedules (eg, take one pill on day 1, two on day 2 in the morning and one on day 2 in the evening, then one pill on day 3). There is a notes feature which records date and time-stamped notes. I've been using this feature to record side effects and symptoms. The app is able to export the information in a variety of formats. Medications can also be logged on an as-needed basis (great for making sure I'm not taking too much Tylenol). Additional features include inventory tracking (highlighting a medication when you are running low) and the ability to create multiple profiles - so I can track my cat's medications too.

Cancer.net
From ASCO, this app is available for iOS and Android. The medication tool is pretty much useless. In fact the only tool that I found remotely helpful is the symptom tracker. While the app can export your info, it is only able to do so as text in an email.

Epocrates Rx
Available for iOS, Android, and Blackberry, this app provides concise information on all drugs that are available in the US, including side effects, dosages, and alternative medications. The most helpful feature of this app is the drug interaction checker. Enter all of the medications that you currently take and the app will flag which ones have interaction warnings.

Drug Formulary
From CancerCare Ontario, this app is available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7. It provides access to the patient and physician information sheets on common drugs and chemo protocols used in Ontario. Note that this information is also available on their website.

Honourable Mentions


iChemoDiary, available for iOS only and only in the US iTunes Store, combines treatment and side effect tracking. The app has a nice graphing feature which gives you a visual for when certain side effects occurs in your chemo cycle. Unfortunately the list of available side effects to choose from is limited and cannot be added to. That said, this app would be handy to use during traditional chemotherapy - and it's free.

Another app that has gotten good reviews is called iCANcer. There is no free or trial version of this app, so I haven't tried it. If you are using this app, please leave a comment with your impressions of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.