Skip to main content

Cancery Gifts for Cancery Friends

Partway through chemo my office sent me a big basket of chocolate bars. It was well-meaning. However, I had been on a health kick long enough by that point that I had gotten down to my ideal BMI, chocolate was rarely part of my diet, and I was feeling really proud of how well I was taking care of myself (all things considered). Unfortunately chocolate is a bit of an addiction for me and the basket of temptation was too much to resist, particularly since my energy levels were nil. If you are trying to figure out what to get a friend who is going through cancer treatment, have a look at my suggested gift items.

First check out the freebies that are available. They will cost you nothing but mean so much. If your friend is newly diagnosed, consider sending them a copy of Cancer is a Word, Not a Sentence by Dr. Robert Buckman. Dr. Buckman had an amazing ability to understand the emotional turmoil that patients experience and combines that understanding with a straightforward explanation of cancer and cancer treatment in this book.

Surgery


Chemo

  • True Lemon / True Lime is great for mixing with water to mask taste changes.

  • Spectro Fragrance Free Cleanser or any other scent free face wash will help with any sensitivities to scents.

  • Likewise Linacare Face Cream or any other scent free facial moisturizer is also helpful.

  • Unscented Soap, particularly a gentle and moisturizing soap, is helpful - keep in mind that chemo can dry out the skin.

  • Unscented Body Cream or Lotion or Kukui Nut Oil to help combat chemo-induced skin dryness makes a useful gift.

  • Unscented Shampoo and Conditioner, particularly the Nature Clean Pure-Sensitive line, is more appreciated than you would think. I continued to shampoo and condition my scalp through chemotherapy - it gave me a sense of normalcy during showers.

  • Microwavable Heating Pads are soothing for sore arms after having an IV and caustic drugs pumped through your veins.

  • Manuka Honey Drops can be soothing for mouth sores - a common side effect of various chemotherapy drugs and stress in general.

  • Gin Gins are helpful for nausea and taste changes.

  • A crocheted Sock Monkey Hat or any other crocheted or knitted hat makes a nice gift. But sock monkeys are especially cool.

  • Frozen Prepared Food. Lots.



Radiation

  • Kukui Nut Oil Soap or any other very gentle and moisturizing soap is good for cleansing sensitive irradiated skin.

  • Linacare Body Cream or Glaxal Base cream or lotion helps to delay skin breakdown due to radiation exposure.

  • Pure Aloe Vera Gel is soothing and safe to use.

  • As seen on TV Genie Bras or Ahh Bras - although they aren't cotton there will come a point during treatment where their non binding nature is more beneficial than their man made fibre content is harmful

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free and Cheap Stuff for My Peeps

Cancer almost inevitably results in having less moola to get by on. You're working less or not at all, you have hella medications to buy (some costing as much as $3000 a dose), you're constantly shuttling yourself back and forth from the hospital paying for transit or parking. In the absence of a Cancer Discount Card (which I would totally love to set up if there is anyone out there who wants to work on that with me) it helps to grab whatever free or almost free stuff you can. Aside from the well publicized ride services and free wigs (via the Canadian Cancer Society ) there are a number of other freebies available to us, some logical, some kind of random. Cottage Dreams Cottage Dreams provides one week at a cottage in Ontario to anyone who is currently not in active treatment. I imagine that taking Tamoxifen or getting your year of Herceptin infusions doesn't count, but I guess it's worth asking. If you are in treatment you can apply now for when you have fin

8-Wheeled Anti-Radiation Tomb and Other Radiation Skin Care Tips

The one side effect that everyone undergoing radiation therapy will experience is skin irritation and potential breakdown. Most people compare the skin reaction to a sunburn -- how bad of a sunburn will depend on a number of factors. Don't assume that having darker skin will protect you from the effect, you should still care for your skin as if you are the palest person you have ever seen.

On Finishing Chemotherapy

Wow. When I started chemo back in March the end seemed an eternity away. Now I am done and just awaiting the final set of nasty side-effects to kick in and eventually pass. Unlike most breast cancer patients I'm still at the beginning of my treatment. This is not a graduation for me. But I'm hoping that this is the end of the worst part. The repeating "get sick, get better, get sick again" cycles have become more of a way of life than I imagine surgery or radiation being. So what does it feel like to have finished? Well, my attitude in the chemo ward ("day care" as they call it at Princess Margaret to distinguish it from inpatient care) was 180° from my attitude during the first session. I was excited to get started. I had a huge smile on my face for most of the session. But now that chemo is done... what do I do now? My surgery date will be determined by the results of the various scans I have next week due to a loverly complicating case of DVT that I g