First check out the freebies that are available. They will cost you nothing but mean so much. If your friend is newly diagnosed, consider sending them a copy of Cancer is a Word, Not a Sentence by Dr. Robert Buckman. Dr. Buckman had an amazing ability to understand the emotional turmoil that patients experience and combines that understanding with a straightforward explanation of cancer and cancer treatment in this book.
- Half Moon Infinity Wrap or a similar top that ties at the side - mobility is greatly reduced after surgery, so pull over tops are impossible to get on for a while.
- For women having surgery for breast cancer, a gift certificate to a shop that sells Surgical Bras helps to ease the financial burden.
- Frozen Prepared Food is always appreciated.
- True Lemon / True Lime is great for mixing with water to mask taste changes.
- Spectro Fragrance Free Cleanser or any other scent free face wash will help with any sensitivities to scents.
- Likewise Linacare Face Cream or any other scent free facial moisturizer is also helpful.
- Unscented Soap, particularly a gentle and moisturizing soap, is helpful - keep in mind that chemo can dry out the skin.
- Unscented Body Cream or Lotion or Kukui Nut Oil to help combat chemo-induced skin dryness makes a useful gift.
- Unscented Shampoo and Conditioner, particularly the Nature Clean Pure-Sensitive line, is more appreciated than you would think. I continued to shampoo and condition my scalp through chemotherapy - it gave me a sense of normalcy during showers.
- Microwavable Heating Pads are soothing for sore arms after having an IV and caustic drugs pumped through your veins.
- Manuka Honey Drops can be soothing for mouth sores - a common side effect of various chemotherapy drugs and stress in general.
- Gin Gins are helpful for nausea and taste changes.
- A crocheted Sock Monkey Hat or any other crocheted or knitted hat makes a nice gift. But sock monkeys are especially cool.
- Frozen Prepared Food. Lots.
- Kukui Nut Oil Soap or any other very gentle and moisturizing soap is good for cleansing sensitive irradiated skin.
- Linacare Body Cream or Glaxal Base cream or lotion helps to delay skin breakdown due to radiation exposure.
- Pure Aloe Vera Gel is soothing and safe to use.
- As seen on TV Genie Bras or Ahh Bras - although they aren't cotton there will come a point during treatment where their non binding nature is more beneficial than their man made fibre content is harmful