Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chemo Cycle 1 - Day 1

It has started! Yesterday I went for my first chemo session. Anxious? Yes! Terrified? Yes! Sobbing like a baby? Of course! It was too soon but it couldn't be soon enough.

Ok, ok, I only cried when the nurse started grilling me about how I was feeling. And once we got going, I just talked my way through it. I must say she was the most amazing at giving needles - I barely felt anything. Even after discussing bad needle experiences with my friend Sherri!

If you want to see what the chemo area looks like, search for Cynthia Mulligan's series "Kicking Cancer" on It's basically a bunch of reclining chairs (no, not leather) with tables on both arms. I was offered a blanket and pillow. The nurse, whose name I should have made a note of, warmed my arm up with a heating pad before poking me. The session consisted of 4 vials administered by syringe (called a "push") and 1 baggie of chemo meds administered by drip, followed by saline (or whatever it is called).

The only side effect I had during the chemo session was a funny taste and smell -- I thought it was a little antiseptic smelling. Sour cherry gummies to the rescue! During the final vial/push I was given a choice of sucking on a popsicle or ice chips. I chose a chocolate popsicle.

Once I got home, I couldn't tell if I was hungry or full, but tried to snack throughout the day. I got progressively more headachey and nauseated (similar to a moderate hangover) so I took my additional anti-emetics. Eventually I switched off the tv, turned off the lights, and just rested. This helped a lot.

I fell asleep with no trouble and felt great when my cat woke me up at 6am. I had trouble falling back asleep, but managed to eventually and was woken up at 8am to get ready for my MRI (fun times)!


  1. You tweeted that you liked your MRI. Really? I almost lost my mind when I had one. That noise! And being told that I can't move means my legs immediately get twitchy. You're obviously much tougher than I am.

    That toughness will get you through this, I'm sure.

  2. I almost started laughing a few times during the MRI. It was like being locked in an isolation pod during a German noise band concert. Luckily only my torso was being scanned so I was free to twitch my toes to the rhythm. I'm sure my über-anti-nausea drugs probably helped with my sense of humour on that day too. :)